Arianna’s Winter Skin Edit
Arianna’s Winter Skin Edit
First-Rate Hacks to Keep Your Skin in Top Shape during the Colder Months
The winter months mean drier air, the humidity inside and outside drastically drops, meaning your skin is retaining less moisture. This moisture your skin so desperately needs is what maintain the supple look, elasticity, and smoothness that keeps you looking young and wrinkle-free.
As we age, we’re more susceptible to the harshness that the winter months bring. Our skin becomes drier, and we produce less oil and collagen, which are the building blocks that keep skin young and rejuvenated.
We’ve gathered some of the most essential information in helping to keep your skin looking and feeling its best, which includes avoiding premature aging during the winter months, which is drastically accelerated because of the lack of humidity.
1. Turn on the humidifier. Feel like you’ve got everything you need and want for Christmas? We suggest adding a good humidifier to your list. Chances are, you’ve got the heat turned up during the colder months, which means much drier air in the house. A humidifier helps keep the percentage of moisture in the air higher, which means skin won’t crack or dry out just from sitting inside. Dry and warm in the office as well? You can now obtain mini-humidifiers from Amazon that keep your workstation winter skin-friendly. Top Tip: apply a serum or moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid, like our Active Vitamin D Serum while indoors and with a humidifier, to increase moisture levels in the skin. Hyaluronic Acid helps to attract water molecules, keeping skin moisturized for longer periods of time.
2. Avoid intense scrubbing & bubbles. This includes manual exfoliators, deep cleansers, and scrub brushes. Although deep cleansing and scrubbing the skin can help to increase collagen and blood flow, during the winter months it’s best to avoid this sort of harsher ritual. The problem is, with the dryness in the air, the skin may end up drier than it was before, even if you apply intense moisturizers and masks after. Your best bet during the winter months is to mask with nourishing ingredients, like our Collagen Boost Repair Mask. Enriching the skin with vital nutrients it needs when it’s being dried out will yield way more beneficial results than scrubbing at already sensitized and dried out skin.
3. Steer clear of scalding water. It might seem fine to splash your face with hot water, especially during the cooler days, but it’s highly recommended that you do not. Hot water strips the skin of its natural oils, leaving you with drier skin than you had before. Always use lukewarm water or cool water, to help avoid additional stressors against skin drying out. Top Tip: after cleansing, pat the face dry - don’t rub! Patting the skin dry helps to avoid excess irritation and allows teeny tiny water droplets to stay on the face to retain moisture.
4. Apply moisturizers & serums to damp skin. Providing an occlusive layer directly on top of already damp skin helps to seal in the moisture even better than waiting for skin to fully dry. This is actually a super helpful skincare hack that can be used all year round! Using a moisturizer with fundamental antioxidants and hydrating ingredients, like our Cellular Repair Day Cream Complex (with Sea Buckthorn and Pomegranate), or our Cellular Repair Night Cream Complex (with Borage Seed and Vitamins A, E, and C), helps keep skin soft and youthful, preventing water loss during the winter months, and preventing premature aging.
5. Winter skin = itchy skin. And with that said – don’t scratch! It may seem like second nature, and you won’t even realize you’re doing it, but with the drier and colder months, your skin will be inclined to be more itchy. This is not just on your face; this entails the full face, body, and scalp. Keeping skin hydrated with a humidifier, intense moisturizing rituals, and avoiding super hot water on the skin, will drastically aide in decreasing any excess itchiness. But keeping products on hand whether at your desk, by your bed, and in front of your television will help. If you feel a bout of itch coming, reach for our Hydrating Mineral Body Lotion, Ultra Rich Mineral Body Butter, or even our Intense Mineral Foot Treatment. And anytime you remember, award yourself a pump or a dollop, and hydrate your precious skin.
6. Facial power! Understanding more about your skin can help you preserve its integrity and ensure you have the best at-home regimen. Seek out one of our Arianna skin care professionals either by phone or in one of our shops, or reach out to your esthetician for a professional facial treatment. These industry experts are fully proficient in skin care maintenance, and will be able to offer you a treatment to help preserve your natural skin tone, help you retain more moisture, and keep you looking fresh & young. Plus, it’s always extra cozy inside spas, and we recommended tacking on a massage as well, to give yourself the ultimate wellness and hydrating experience. When better to do so than during the cold and blistery winter months (and Christmas time of course)?
Making sure you keep your skin full of moisture and hydration will ensure you maintain the best skin you deserve. Feeling good and looking good go hand in hand, and wellness often starts with our largest organ of the body – our skin!
If you ever have more questions about where to begin with the best products for you, never hesitate to reach out to our team here at Arianna. Skin consultants are always on hand to help guide your way.